SCE News

Stock Car Extreme News

Around The Asphalt 04-14-11

By: Larry Giese

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Around The Asphalt 04-14-11

Postby slmlarry » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Well its been a few months but i finally got to my first race of the year.My dad, and my friend Chris made the 8 hour trip to the historic North Wilkesboro Speedway in North Carolina.There were close to 80 super late models at the track along with only 10 touring mods in attendence ouch.The Race paying 75,000 to win drew some of the biggest names in the country from east to west coast,midwest,and all over the south.Setting fast time and a new track record was Steven Nasse out of the sunshine state.The top 10 redrew for postion and put Pass North regular Johhny Clark and Pass South regular Jay Fogelman on the front row.I'm not going to write about the race results because by now you have read them but how about Chris Eggelson i would have never guessed he would pulled it off in the end over a stellar 44 car starting grid.Eggelston started 15th the last one to make it on time and he was up to 9th after the first 100.By lap 150 he was up to 3rd.Eggelston was the leader at the lap 200 break.The final 100 was set you were allowed to change 2 tires during the last segment.Well the pitstops never happened as it was a great battle between Eggelson and Bubba Pollard throughout the final 100 laps.Eggelson made the winning pass on lap 276 and held off Pollard to collect a cool 75,000 and thus becoming the winner of The Race.There was alot of great racing throughout the field very little cautions guys were real patient.But like the Snowball Derby i thought you would see all drama over the final 20 laps but know one was able to change tires and it wasn't a demolition derby to the finish.I was quiet surprised about that, but i think the guys were real respectful of each other,but everyone i talked to thought you would see the carnage at the end for 75,000 to win but it never happened.It was a great job by Eggelson and his crew chief the great Butch Miller he set that car up perfect for the long runs. Pollard ended up being disqualified after tech and finished last.The top 5 were Eggelson,Jeff Choquette,TJ Reid,Ben Rowe and Andy Loden.I got to say it was a great experience to view the race and seeing a great facility as North Wilkesboro Speedway with all the history and the people were so friendly and i got a chance to talk to people all over the country including my new friends Dan and Jim from Georgia big Bubba Pollard fans.Good seeing Monroe Lou,The Menlen clan thanks for dinner on friday,and of course Jim Williams,and special thanks to my dad and Chris for driving both ways and having a great journey to the Tarheel State.Well thats it for now next up the CRA Series Jegs All Stars and the USA Mod race at Toledo Speedway on April 23rd See Around The Asphalt. :flag: :flag:
slmlarry
Rookie

Return to Around The Asphalt