SCE News

Stock Car Extreme News

Around The Asphalt

By: Larry Giese

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Around The Asphalt

Postby slmlarry » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 pm

I will keep this weeks article short.Last week at M40 the Big Gun Shootout was a candidate for race of the year in late model racing.This race was drama supersized. 31 outlaw late models Brent Jack fast time again, a deep invert of 16 set the tone.The action picked up in the 2nd segment were Robbie Ferrier led the first half and the first few laps of the 2nd but the heavyhitters found there way to the front Phil Bozell and Ferrior tangled.Ferrier held the top spot until Andy Bozell muscled by the man on the move was JR Roahrig in the Blount 16 car.Contact by Bozell and Roahrig as JR was going for the lead looked pretty intentional to me the 16 car was the class of the field that night.New leader Jack Varney this was a great run by the eastsider the best he's looked all year only to see his night ruined by Brian Ross.After the incident Varney headed to the pits to look for Ross.But in the end it was Grand Rapids standout Mike Root winning the Big Gun Shootout and adding to his resume with wins at The Stan Yee at Flat Rock and Dixie Cup at Dixie and runner up at Owosso also claimed the Gold Cup and Dixie Cup Track Championships .Really felt bad for Jack Varney was heading for a big payday i think he won a race at Dixie a few years back, all in all a great job by the eastsiders with Root winning Harold Fair Jr 3rd Brent Jack 6th and the great run by Varney.Had a great drive with my fellow buckeyes my Dad,Chris Olsen and Jim Williams attending good seeing Danny,Sue,Ed,Roger,Gary and the Kugler Crew and Ron Verash and the SCE crew.Looking forward to next years race i think it was a great sucess.On Saturday the wife and I headed to Columbus for the CRA race.27 cars in the pits with John VanDoorn setting fast time,the invert was 5 which put young Tyler Nuckles and Brian Campbell on the front row.Tyler Nuckles lead early and often being challenged by Scott Hantz and then a hard charging VanDoorn.Felt bad for Nuckles he had a great car but the caution with VanDoorn on lap 95 he wasn't the same.Brian Campbell was the new leader and led the final 30 laps over Scott Hantz ,Robbie Pyle,Tommy St John and Jim Crabtree Jr 5th.I thought this was a pretty good race with a early start time the only downer was the 2 young guns at Columbus David Carter and Sloan Henderson were none factors. Henderson broke in practice coming off her big win at Kilkare in the Robbie Dean Memorial.David Carter started 6th but faded to finish 22nd.I want to thank the Nuckles family for the hospitality and i'm looking forward to returning to Columbus on Sept 24 -25 for The Main Event.Speaking of the MERS series great job by Jimmy Carter for winning the race at Lake Erie.Next up don't know maybe Owosso on the 18th if not Main Event XXIII at Columbus Mototr Speedway. SEE YA AROUND THE ASPHALT :flag: :flag:
slmlarry
Rookie

Re: Around The Asphalt

Postby Carl Smith » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:49 pm

Another great article Larry.

Thank You.
Carl Smith,
Owner of Stock Car Extreme
carl@stockcarextreme.com
Carl Smith
Administrator

Return to Around The Asphalt