SCE News

Stock Car Extreme News

Around The Asphalt 10-14-09

By: Larry Giese

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Around The Asphalt 10-14-09

Postby slmlarry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Well all streaks are meant to be broken Joe Diamago's 56 game hitting streak,Michigan football bowl game streak ended last year ,the Red Sox finally winning a world series, and now this past weekend a 21 no repeat winner streak ended in Columbus when Michigan 2nd generation star Terry Senneker Jr won Main Event 22 over a steller field of Outlaw super late models.Senneker winner of Main Event 20 now adds his 2nd trophy as he won 2 out of the last 3 Main Events he couldn't compete last year due to a broken foot.Owner Terry Gentry has now won the last 2 Kazoo Klashes and they have 4 out of the last 5 Main Events at Columbus.The Tag Cars as there known as had fast time with Steve Needles setting a new track record with a blistering 12.827 17 yr cms modified champion David Carter was 2nd quick folled by Joe Bush,Jack Landis,Terry Senneker,Rich Rorher,Jamie Hunt,Mike Luberda,Gary Whipkey and Harold Fair Jr. rounded out the top ten.Heat wins were won by Donnie Hill,Mike Stacy and Jimmy Carter.Paul Pelliter won the last chance race on sunday.With the field set Harold Fair Jr and Gary Whipkey led them to the green as the top 10 were inverted.Whipkey motored past Fair and lead his first Main Event that i could think of.Cautions plagued the race throughout the 100 lap grind including early ones that took out some of the favorites including Jack Landis,Terry VanHaitsma,Donnie Hill, and David Carter.After a lap 28 restart Whipkey held the lead but the Michigan trio of Joe Bush,Steve Needles,and Terry Senneker jr were on the move and Whipkey saw his lead and a chance at his first Main Event win come to a end on lap 32 as Joe Bush passed Whipkey for the lead.Another car making noise was the 7 car of Rich Rorher after a early spin with Mike Luberda Rorher settled into the 4th spot by lap 57 and seemed to be running with the lead trio.The last 40 laps is were the race got exciting as Joe Bush wasn't as good as Needles and Senneker on restarts,Needles who made contact with David Carter in the warm up laps was experencing ill handling race car including a toe out and other front end damage was able to stay with Bush for a while until the race hit 70 laps and that is were Senneker Jr made his move as Needles drifted up the track Senneker passed him.Senneker continued to work on Bush who was blocking the low line,Senneker made contact with Bush and then it was a free for all Senneker became the new leader and Bush had a battle on his hand as Needles and Rorher sneaked by as well ,but Bush settled in and reclaimed the 3rd spot and Senneker just had to much and won his 2nd Main Event over his teammate Steve Needles,Joe Bush,Rich Rorher,and Jimmy Carter rounded out the top 5.My thoughts are i thought this was a very exciting race alot of passing drama at the end and the tight points battle which was won by Gary Whipkey by 11pts over Jimmy Carter 3rd was Don Harvey Jr 4th Doug Sommers and 5th to Rich Rorher.Congratulations to Gary Whipkey for winning his 4th Straight championship including 5 out of the last 6 a great job.I want to thank Chris Tolloty and cms for the hospitality and i'm looking forward to next years schedule so put all those rumors to rest the mers series will be back in 2010 next up for me hopefully Winchester this weekend if not Nashville in 2 weeks see ya around the asphalt
slmlarry
Rookie

Re: Around The Asphalt 10-14-09

Postby the old Roadhog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Larry: WOW! You were right! Main Event is the bomb! Big Ed kept trying to get us to go down, but time, football, and commitments wouldn't allow. Went to Berlin instead to freeze our you-know- whats off at the CRA 125! Dan and Sue showed up, but left prior to the racing to warm up and watch football (Michigan, of course). The rest of us stuck it out and the entire night was complete by 9:00, even after an hour delay because of rain showers. Tom Thomas kicked can't use. Many local west Michigan drivers in the field, including Fred and Brian Campbell, Chris Anthony, Chris Koslek, and the always present and powerful Scott Hanz. Ross Meeuson was in the stands watching. I wish more of ours "local" drivers would travel more for the big slm shows. They certainly would represent west Mich. well. I really feel that they are right up near the top of the outlaw late model ranks. It does warm my heart to see TR, having such a great year. A true champion! Steve Needles too. He won "the Chet" @ Berlin in convincing fashion. Joe , what can I say? A class act all the way, and having a great run like that certainly takes some of the sting out of a year in which he struggled very uncharacteristicly. Maybe we'll see more of our drivers 'around the asphalt' next year with the introduction of Mike Strevel's Great Lakes Outlaw Series. Have to keep our eyes open for that one. Anyway, enjoy Winchester (another one I've said for years I wanted to go to, but alas, CAN'T make!) Have a good Fall season, and I'll talk at ya after the showdown in AA with your scarlet and gray legions of doom!! Turn left, go fast and GO BLUE!! :lol:
the old Roadhog
Rookie

Return to Around The Asphalt