SCE News

Stock Car Extreme News

Around The Asphalt 5-7-09

By: Larry Giese

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Around The Asphalt 5-7-09

Postby slmlarry » Thu May 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Well got to give it up to Craig Everage and Chris Tolloty and the Main Event Series they had a record 43 outlaw super late models in the pits for the Main Event openner at Angola last saturday night.I think that's more than then they had at the Main Event at Columbus last year.Setting fast time a great lap by Mike Kugler 13.701.Tim Ice and Tony Dager won the last chance races.The race started with Chad Finley taking the early lead over home hot shoe Jack Landis.Finley looked impressive in his first Main Event race.Findley a second generation star out of Lansing Mi held off Landis throughout the first half of the race.But the men on the move were John Doering Jr. and my home town boy Jimmy Carter.Doering was able to make the winning pass on lap 49.Doering lead was impressive but over the last 10 laps Carter was able to close the gap and made a last lap charge to the outside of Doering coming into lap traffic in turn 4 Carter spun and Doering went on to win the 1st race of the year in the Main Event Series.Finley finished 2nd,Luberda 3rd,Kugler 4th,and Gary Whipkey 5th.Carter finished 7th. I want to thank Craig Everage for the hospitality.For those of you who don't know Craig he is one hell of a hard worker and does a great job promoting over at Angola Motor Speedway in what is called his 2009 Wide Open Tour.If he got 43 supers on openning night it will be real interesting what they get on June 11th for the Stan Perry Memorial paying 10,010 to win with about 40 plus pre-entered already.There were so many faces we saw at Angola ofcourse all the regulars who i have covered for about 14 yrs including that all star team of Al Reeves,Mike Williams,Scott Baker,Glenn Gault Sr and a little advice from Tim Curry on the number 6 being driven this year by 2nd generation star Glenn Gault Jr.There was a good mix of Ohio,Indiana,Michigan cars on hand with many tracks well represented.Also congrats to Brian Nester for winning the Modified race over Dick Mauer.Everage's next event on the Wide Open Tour will be saturday May 23rd with twin 75s by the Outlaw super lates and the super pro series along with the Short track trucks should be agreat show.Race2 for the Mers series will be at Midvale Speedway on May 23rd 75 laps 2000 to win.Also congratulations to Terry Senneker jr. who picked up where he left of last year.Senneker jr won the Itimidator 100 over Joe Bush,Andy Bozell,Steve Needles,and Tom Thomas with 31 cars in the pits.Well thats it for now next up Gold cup race at Toledo on May 22nd and either Midvale Mers on the 23rd or the All star Bash at Kazoo on the 23rd and 24th Go Cavs !!! see ya around the asphalt
slmlarry
Rookie

Return to Around The Asphalt