SCE News

Stock Car Extreme News

Around The Asphalt 8-14

By: Larry Giese

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Around The Asphalt 8-14

Postby slmlarry » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Well we finally got a 2 day race weekend in.Started out friday and went to big fast half mile Toledo Speedway for race 4 of 5 of the Gold Cup Series.21 cars were in the pits 19 outlaw cars, and 2 sportsman cars setting fast time was Scott Hantz with 15.129 and the invert was 4 which put Jr Roahrig and Nick Grodi on the front row.At the green the early leader was Roahrig on lap 19 there was a caution for Hantz and Harold Fair Jr.At this point Roahrig went to the pits Fair went in for a adjustment.Hantz became the new leader followed by Grodi,Strickland.Then Harold Fair Jr was charging through the field and got back up to second.Fair tried high and low to pass Hantz over the final 30 laps but Hantz was to strong and held on for the win over Fair,Grodi,Strickland and Brent Jack.Good seeing everone in Toledo Jim Williams,the Toledo gang,Lou, Doug,Tom and special thanks to the Menlens Jeff ,Cheryl ,and Jb for the pizza back at the hotel friday night.Saturday i headed down the turnpike to Angola Speedway for the Main Event race.The race was 75 laps and 2,000 to win.There were 27 cars in the pits including Marcus Malcuit (who i haven't seen in years ).Harold Fair Jr set fast time with 13.67 and the invert was 8 which put Johnny Jenkins and Brian Rievley on the front row.Rievley led at the start but on a lap 5 restart Jimmy Carter slipped by Rievley on the bottom and became the new leader.Carter's Flf race car was lightning fast and at times held straightaway leads and used lap traffic at times to keep his distance from the other lead lap cars.Late cautions made for some drama with Hantz and Paar coming together being sent to the rear and then a late caution between Mike Kugler and Donnie Hill with Hill being sent to the rear and Kugler kept his postion.Felt bad for Hill he took a hit in the points with that call.The final 3 laps Brent Jack closed on Carter but couldn't make the pass and Jimmy Carter took the money back to Strongsville,Oh followed Jack,Mike Kugler,Bud Perry,and Marcus Malcuit 5th with a great run.I had people in the stands with the incoming weather screaming to get the late model feature going but Craig stuck to his guns and ran the schedule in order and got the race in and done by 11pm.I want to thank Craig for the hospitality and the courage to run the show the only track that ran saturday in the area.I was concerned but we got the race in.Good seeing Mike and Kim Williams,and to John,Angela,Doug,Jeff,Bob and the rest of the Kugler Krew salute a buckeye stopped your winning streak(just kidding) good seeing everyone with their red shirts and will see you at the Klash on wednesday.Speaking of the Klash the expected entry list is stout with Ross Kenseth,Ted Christopher,Steve Dorer,Jack Varney Jr i think his first attempt at the klash.Other heavy hitters include Johnny Bensen and Tim Felver in the Zent cars.The Berlin bangers are entered Team Gentry Needles and Senneker along with Tim Devos,Terry VanHaitsma,this years Chet winner Monte Toland is entered,Mike Luberda,Roahrigs,Scott Hantz,M 40 winner Doug True,Jeff Ganus,Mike Root,New Paris hot shoe Corey Ryman and all the Kazoo regulars.This should be great show my pick to win the hottest guy in the area Jr Roahrig.Friday were going to Dixie for the cra 125 and that entry list is stout as well with a hot shoe out of the up of Michigan Jamie Iverson,Chase Elliot,Ken Schrader,Tim Devos,Red bud 300 winner Steve Dorer,Tim Curry,Brian Campbell,JVD,Mike Stacy,Becca Kasten, and all the cra regulars.Well it's Klash week 10,000 to win on wednesday,and the 75 lap Boyne race also on the card as a added bonus thank you Gary Howe late model heaven and oh yeah the cra race at Dixie on friday 4 races in a week lets get it started see ya around the asphalt at Kazoo on wednesday :clap: :clap: :headbang:
slmlarry
Rookie

Re: Around The Asphalt 8-1430

Postby OutlawSuperLate » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:32 pm

I think Angola was hoping for a wash out and did everything in their power to delay the running of the late models in hopes of rain. All the support classes heats and features were run prior to the Main Event cars. They even ran the spectator drags which took 30 plus minutes, with the storm on the horizon and heading toward the track.

So with that being said, the fans who came to see the Main Event late models had every right to be upset and eager to get the show going...even if the track wanted otherwise.
OutlawSuperLate
Rookie

Re: Around The Asphalt 8-14

Postby jvanderr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey Larry, great article. Yes one of your buckeye brethren did take the victory, but The Kugler Krew made a good showing and we pretty much have the points title wrapped up. I like your JR pick for the Klash. Although, my boy TR should be fast and out for redemption after wrecking in practice last year. We will be at the track around 3:30 Wednesday. Can't wait. See you there.
jvanderr
Rookie

Return to Around The Asphalt