KD2
KD2

Stock Car Extreme News

Around The Asphalt 10-26-12

By: Larry Giese

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Around The Asphalt 10-26-12

Postby slmlarry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Last week made the trip to Sandusky for Main Event 25.There were 33 Outlaw late models, 16 super mods and 18 mods i think.Setting fast time for the mers series was Jeff Ganus in a new track record of 16.001,and the invert as always for the Main Event is 8 which put Michigan motorsports hall of famer Johnny Benson and 2nd generation star Marcus Malcuit on the front row.Saturday night heat winners were Jack Varney Jr.,Justin Schroeder,and Rich Rorher.Last chance winner was Frank Kimmel 11.2 cars scratched on saturday Tim Felver and Eric Lee, other notables that missed the event Tim Ice,Dave Stehouwer,Dennis Strickland,Bubba Smith,Mike Mazzagatti and Bob Gainer.The 100 lap grind on Sunday saw Benson and Malcuit lead them to green but the start was not good as the caution flew which was the theme of the race as the race was plagued by numerous cautions.Once they got going Malcuit jumped to the lead,Harold Fair Jr was the next one to make a move to the front on lap 18 but that was short lived as J R Roahrig took the lead on lap 29 and held until lap 56 thats when Jeff Ganus who was sent to the back on lap 3 when he hit the kill switch on accident, passed Fair and Roahrig on the backstretch and never looked back.There was concern at the end when a few cars ran out of fuel but Ganus won another big one along with his win at the Summer Sizzler in 2008. The top 5 were Ganus, Jack Varney Jr, Steve Needles,Rich Rorher,and Todd Rosebrugh. Congratulations to Jeff Ganus and the Bobby Blount race team for finally stopping the winning steak of the Gentry team green which had won 5 straight Main Events and 6 out of the last 7.I always like the Main Event this is my 21st straight Main Event and was great to see it back at Sandusky,where it started 25 years ago.What disappointed me the most was all the cautions and tore up race cars.Seemed like there was only 1 groove and no patience on part of the drivers,and it was a race of survival. Great job by 2 eastsiders of the wolverine state Jack Varney Jr and Todd Rosebrugh.Varney and his sponser Great Lake Helicopters has sponsered the MERS Series,Gold Cup Series,Berlin Raceway, and Dixie Speedway.Great job Jack well deserved ,and Todd Rosebrugh qualified bad ,transfered through the last chance and survived the all the destruction on the track for a top 5 finish in his first visit to Sandusky nice job.I want to thank Kevin Jaycox and the Main Event Series for the hospitality and a great race season.I hope you guys continue to build this series in this tough economy for 2013.Shout outs to Chris Olsen,Gary and Lois,Doug,Mike Williams and his family.Been a great season again lets hope our sport gets better in 2013.I may have 1 more article left for this year and hope too see you AROUND THE ASPHALT IN 2013
slmlarry
Rookie

Return to Around The Asphalt