SCE News

Stock Car Extreme News

Season Champions Crowned, SODS Put on Show

Plymouth, Indiana

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Season Champions Crowned, SODS Put on Show

Postby martinfan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:02 pm

The last points race of the season was one to remember at Plymouth Speedway Saturday night. The division champions were crowned and the Sprints on Dirt Series (SODS) visited the track for the second time this season.

Nick Yoder knew he had to finish at least in the 8th position in order to pick up the season championship in the Dickies Restaurant 600 Open Sprint division. He started on the pole, but quickly found himself in second place when Bradley Jameson got a good start on the field at the drop of the green flag. Eric Saunders passed Yoder for the second spot by lap eight. Yoder was able to keep his third place running position throughout the remainder of the caution-free 20-lap feature. Dylan Woodling showed speed in the contest making his way into the second place spot after a mistake by Saunders out of turn four on lap 15. Jameson won the feature with Woodling in second and Yoder in third.

“I was hoping for a top five finish in tonight’s race, but I’ll take my first feature win in this event. This is great!” said Jameson.

Yoder thanked all who stood behind him this season in helping him pick up the championship.

“This week was long, but it was worth it to see how it would play out,” commented Yoder. “We worked so hard to get to where we are today. We had a goal and we met it. Thank you to everyone who helped us get it.”

Even a penalty for jumping a restart didn’t phase Phil Gressman as he picked up the win in the SODS race. His winged sprint was side-by-side pole sitter Jared Delong by lap 13 of the 25-lap feature. Lapped traffic helped Gressman get by Delong on lap 16. They finished in the first and second position while Devin Dobie was able to pass Shawn Dancer on lap nine to finish in the third place spot.

“It took a lot to end up here. My boys here helped me get it done. We made some changes to the car and got the win,” said Gressman.

Jamie Lomax had enough points going into Saturday night’s Swan Lake Resort UMP Modifieds race to win the championship. He started on the pole and had the lead for the first 11 laps but Derek Losh caught up to Lomax to make it a side-by-side battle for the lead. Losh was able to get out ahead of Lomax where he scored the win. Lomax was able to finish second while Frank Marshall successfully defended his third place track position throughout the race.

“The track was good as well as the racing. Everything worked out for us,” stated Losh.

This is Lomax’s second consecutive championship in the Swan Lake Resort UMP Modified Division.

“It’s great going out and racing every week. The racing is great and the track is great,” smiled Lomax.

Not only did he win the Walmart Thunder Stocks Championship, he won Saturday’s feature at the Playground of Power. John Rhoads set sail while Jim Henson and Mike Hoagland literally bumped fenders for track position in the 20-lap race. They met for position by lap six and the pair swapped positions on laps 13 and 14. On the last lap, Henson bumped Hoagland out of the way to take the the second podium spot while Hoagland crossed the line in third.

“I’ve been racing since 1998 and hadn’t won a championship. I finally did it and I have my family and friends to thank for everything. This really means a lot,” stated an emotional John Rhoads.

Derek Davis won his first feature race of the season in the Bane-Welker Cyber Stocks on Saturday night in his first race at Plymouth Speedway. He started in the second spot in the running order and it didn’t take very long to get the lead. He had to fend off Guy Sutton who made it into the top of the running order from starting at the tail by lap nine. Sutton couldn’t make the pass, but Davis and Sutton were running side-by-side near the end of the race. Lapped traffic would play a part in the outcome as Davis took the win, Murphy got by Sutton thanks to slower cars and Sutton finished third.

“This race was a lot of fun and I can’t wait to do it again!” said Davis.

Loren Swanson finished sixth in the feature, but claimed the championship in the Bane-Welker Cyber Stock division.

“It was a close battle with Kirby Trent throughout the season and we had to work to be able to get here. The hard work paid off,” said Swanson.

David Short was able to work his way around the track to win another feature in the WTCA Super Streets and he also won the division championship. Short had Roger Duszynski in his rear view mirror the entire race but didn’t lose focus. Duszynski couldn’t get by and took home the second place trophy. Calvin Peek, Jr. found Bob McLean on lap 15 and worked side-by-side to get the last podium spot with five laps to go. As they rounded turn four, Peek, Jr. got the spot and bumped McLean out of a top three finish.

“Duszynski ran me hard and made me earn that win tonight. I’m a racer at heart and loved it. My wife set a goal this year to win the championship and we did it. Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen,” commented Short.

That’s the end of the season at Plymouth Speedway, but there are three races yet this year for fans to enjoy. The Great American Racing Series will invade Plymouth Speedway for the Down-N-Dirty 125 on Saturday, Aug. 29, The World Series of Dirt is on Sept. 12 and the World of Outlaws show will be on Oct. 17. For more information, visit our website at www.plymouthspeedway.net.
Robert Borton
mark martin fan forever
pray everyday for everyone
martinfan
Track Champion

Return to Plymouth Speedway