SCE News
Congratulations to
DougFox
DougFox

Stock Car Extreme News

Ganus takes Sandusky Event

Super Late group with races in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.

Ganus takes Sandusky Event

Postby Ron Verash » Sun May 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Ganus Opens MERS Season with Sandusky Victory

Todd Ridgeway
MERS Media
May 10, 2014

Veteran driver Jeff Ganus busted down the door on the 2014 Main Event Racing Series (MERS) opener at Sandusky (OH) Speedway by putting his familiar No. 5 in victory circle at the track up north. Ganus lead at the start and at the finish, but in between was a whole different story. At late race restart and a timely pass on Michigan stand out Harold Fair Jr. would secure the win.

With an inversion of eight, 20 well prepared Super Late Models would come down to the green flag start led by Pole Sitter John Sandquist Jr. with Ganus alongside. It took two attempts but the field sailed into turn one. By the time the field was back to the flag stand it was Ganus on point and just a few laps later, young upstart Alex Rosenberry would sail past Sandquist Jr. into second and set sail. A lap five yellow would turn red briefly as two cars blocked the front stretch. A quick cleanup and a double file restart and away they went. This time Rosenberry went on point. A few short laps later Fair Jr. would sail past Ganus into second and the very next lap a sweeping move around Rosenberry and into the lead. Fair Jr. would set a torrid pace, even through some yellow flags and double file restarts Fair Jr. looked to be the class of the field. Just before the halfway point Ganus got a run and moved back into second looking for the leader. A large gap was between Ganus and Fair Jr., as the leader sailed out in his own zip code. At lap 41 Marcus Malcuit and Rosenberry would get together racing for fourth position in turn one spinning Rosenberry and both drivers were put on the tail. On the restart Ganus would start on the outside of Fair Jr. as all that track position went right out the door. It took a couple tries but Ganus muscled up and cleared the familiar No. 71 car and went back on point. With ten laps to go Ganus maintained a steady lead as Fair Jr. had his hands full with Scott Hantz. A late race restart would not change things as Ganus sailed home with Fair Jr. holding onto second followed by Hantz, Drew Charleson, and Malcuit rebounded for fifth.

“We had our little motor here, 320 inch motor,” stated Ganus. “On the start and restarts we just did not have the speed down the straightaway, we rolled the corner better than most of them, but we needed the long runs. Late in the race everybody used their tires up. I could see Harold up there he was pretty good in the beginning and then the more we went the loser he got. I didn’t even have enough motor to burn the tires up, so it worked out good for us. I am not too much into hair pin turn tracks, but this place is pretty unique. I really prefer banked tracks. But, it is pretty fun here, we have had good luck here,” finished the race winner.

“Second, is not bad, we will take it,” said Fair Jr. “We got bumped around a little there on those last few restarts. It just knock some stuff around, I lost my spoiler and it slowed me down about a tenth and made the car lose. The car was great for the longest time, all those yellow’s, I just needed it to stay green,” finished Fair Jr.
“We were a little off tonight,” stated third place Hantz. “Qualifying not so well, we just hung in there and stayed out of trouble. I just used my experience. I got real lucky tonight, on every restart I was on the bottom. So, I was able to get a couple guys on each restart and pretty soon I was up to third,” noted Hantz.
— with Jeff Ganus
Ron Verash
Stock Car Extreme/
Michana Vintage Racers
ron@stockcarextreme.com
Ron Verash
Administrator

Return to Main Event Series