Stock Car Extreme News

FROM WHERE I SIT (VOL 11)

By: Scott Binkley

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Postby RacerBear31 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:01 am

By Scott Binkley
Goshen, IN: It’s hard to believe that we have now run our final stock car show of the season at South Bend. Where did the summer go? Of course, we had summer weather in March so it certainly didn’t go very far.

I had this column all typed up and was just about finished when I accidentally deleted the whole thing. Kinda pee’d me off so I just waited for the ‘fires of inspiration’ to grab hold of me once again. Sorry about the delay this week. It was just one of those kinda weeks.

Okay, now that that’s out of the way, I can get down to business. We, and by ‘we’, I mean Ed, finally got the Mutt-Mobile finished and it made its appearance at the season finale. I didn’t expect it to set the world on fire or anything but, I never thought it would be as much fun as it was. For a small donation, the fans were asked to sign their names on the hood and, surprisingly, a lot of people took me up on that. Thank you to everyone who participated during the huge autograph session on Saturday. Honestly, I think Ed is as excited as I am about finally getting the van onto the track. He should be. He’s done an outstanding job getting it ready and I am so thankful for all of his help. The plan is to take it to Mottville next week and run it in the Hornet class there.

Speaking of ‘huge autograph sessions’. It was so cool to see the entire field of competitors make the parade lap for the National Anthem. It was truly a sight to behold. Nearly every one of the 91 cars on hand were on the track. The only other time I remember that many cars was during one of the enduro races back in the 80’s. I got a little bit of a lump in my throat as I looked out over all those cars lining the front stretch and well into turn 4. The fans seemed to have a great time as well. But, then, whenever the fans get to interact with their heroes, it’s always a good time.

I want to take a moment to congratulate all of the winners from Saturday night. Brian Ross took his 3rd Late Model win in a row and Brandon Zachary won the Late Model points championship. Steve Stacy deserves a big shout out too as he gave it everything he had. Only 3 points separated Brandon and Steve going into Saturday night. Both drivers have had great seasons. In the Sportsman, it was Scott Fairchild taking the win. I don’t know if it was his first feature win but it was very impressive any way you look at it. He only ran the last two weeks of the season. Way to go! Brandon Zachary had already won the Sportsman title prior to Saturday night. In Street Stocks, it was Kevin Clash finally getting his first win. He’s been close a number of times but just couldn’t quite get there. Josh Highbaugh fought hard to win the SS points battle. Even though it wasn’t decided yet, pretty much all Josh had to do was start the feature to win the title. Michael Mast got his 2nd Mini Stock feature win of the season but had his hands full with the points champion, Rich Hensley. Hensley had already clinched the title but wanted to win the race as well. Rich backed up his championship from 2011 after years of taking 2nd . In the Front Wheel Drives, it was ‘Dancin’ Doug ending the season the same way he started. He won the opening night feature as well. I’m really proud of Doug for the job he’s done this year. After a hard crash, he came back to win two more features. Tom Taylor nearly had a lock on the final points battle but Doug was still in the hunt. Congratulations, once again, to all the champions.

It was a double header weekend at Mottville and, all I can say is, “Wow!” Nearly 40 cars both days and lots of new drivers. The Street Stock fields continue to grow every week as do the Mini Stocks. 12 Mini Stocks on Monday alone and their feature was just awesome. I’m telling you, if you haven’t been to Mottville in a while, you really should try and get up there. There’s still 9 weeks, and a couple of them are double headers, left. So, that makes something like 13 more race dates. Considering that most racing seasons are only about 22 weeks, that’s almost like a full season yet to go. On Monday, there were 2 heats for 2 of the classes. I’m hoping that holds true next Saturday for the Hornets. I’d much rather race with less cars for the heat. I’m really looking forward to taking on the track once again. Do I expect to win? Well, no. Would I like to? Absolutely! We’ll see what happens. On Sunday, I will be in the tower for the 1st annual Announcer’s Choice. We’re expecting a huge turnout of cars for this one. Definitely gonna be one of the biggest races in the history of the Mottville Speedway. I’m really proud and honored to be asked to be a part of it. Gonna be an awesome event.

Well, that about wraps it up for another week. Kalamazoo and New Paris are hosting nights of destruction on Saturday. I think M40 is holding their season championships on Friday and, of course, Mottville is running both Saturday and Sunday. Please make plans to attend a race somewhere. Your comments are always welcome and, until next time, I’ll see you at the races.
RacerBear31
Veteran

Return to FROM WHERE I SIT