Stock Car Extreme News

Riding the Cushion by James Benson

By: James Benson

Moderators: Carl Smith, Ron Verash, Frankie_D

Riding the Cushion by James Benson

Postby Ron Verash » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:57 am

James Benson
To RON VERASH Aug 3 at 12:13 PM
Hello Race Fans! I have heard of a lot of cool promotional ideas over the years at race tracks. I always felt that I had seen and heard it all. But this weekend took the cake for me. The Benson family was able to take the trip down to central Indiana for Lincoln Park Speedway's Fan Appreciation night, which included free admission. Yes, that is not a typo, you were able to get into the grandstands for FREE! I had heard of tracks doing that well before my time, when my dad was a kid, and my grandparents were working at New Paris or Stuben County. The difference is that those were much simpler times, and I don't really feel that race tracks were as money conscience as they are now. The bottom line is unfortunately a big deal with race tracks trying to keep going and to have a night like a Free Admission night is a huge risk. So that makes it much cooler that Lincoln Park was willing and able to take the risk. And it was well worth it as the grandstands were packed to capacity, with even the fire marshall telling the track that they couldn't let anyone else in or it would be a fire hazard. I mean the place was completely packed in from the moment we got there, we could hardly find any seats available. The best part about it is they were definetly given there money's worth as it was a terrific show of Wingless Sprints, Modifieds. Super Stocks, and Bombers. The sprint feature was a great showing of domination by Casey Shuman, who started on the front row, and never looked back in his win. The exciting parts were happening behind him with a strong battle for 2nd between Scot Hampton and Lee Dakus with Dakus just running out of time and Hampton capturing the second position. It was also exciting to watch Brett Moore come from the back to capture the fourth spot, and the terrific battle between Matt McDonald and Troy Link to round out the top 5, with McDonald getting the upper hand. The Modifieds followed that race up with probably one of the best finishes that I've seen all year in a race. The battle was between Cullen Goodman and Bradley Starrett, as Goodman would take the low grove and use it to hold off Starrett, who could not get anything going on the high side. With three laps to go, Starrett would take the middle groove instead and was able to work it to perfection, and coming off of turn four, Starrett was able to get just enough of his bumper in front of him, and he won in dramatic fashion over Goodman. The Super Stocks and Bombers would also produce some heart-stopping features with Steve Peeden getting the win and continuing his domination of the Super Stocks, while Ryan Freeland was able to outlast everyone else, and capture the feature event in the Bombers. It was a good night of racing at a great track, and hopefully I'll be able to swing around to Putnamville again really soon to watch more exciting racing at Lincoln Park Speedway. Next week is a big race for the family, as we will be heading to New Paris on Thursday for the big $20,000 to win Summer Sizzler. I'm looking forward to seeing how the race will turn out, especially to see if Tyler Roahrig will be able to continue his domination of the quarter-mile, or if Jeff Ganus can continue his strong 2015 campaign with another big win. That'll do it for me, so until next time, have a good week, good luck, and May God Bless.
Reply, Reply All or Forward | Mor
Ron Verash
Stock Car Extreme/
Michana Vintage Racers
ron@stockcarextreme.com
Ron Verash
Administrator

Return to RIDING THE CUSHION